Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The O-G. The Original Taco House of Morrison IL

The Burrito: The Fajita Burrito

The Burrito Builder: The Original Taco House.

Where Is It: Morrison, IL. Lat / Long: 41'48''32 N : 89'57"55 W. 672' Alt

These things always start out innocently enough. I happen to be driving on US Highway 30 when I ran across the small town of Morrison Illinois, when I met my arch nemesis: hunger pains. Morrison is pretty nondescript even as far as small farm towns go. While it lacks the charm of the 1920s town square set up, it has kept the brevity of the 1820s Main St. approach. Whereby everything is a brick Road townhouse style note nothing is taller than two stories. But
among the buildings in this non-descript six block area, I find a sign that read "taco." I had to turn around as I didn't believe what I thought I saw. But sure enough I found the Original Taco House. Original to who is my logical question without answer, I venture in.

The decorations are dark paneling with frescoes on the walls that lead you up to the counter and then around the wall towards the seating area in a big U shape. Never one to judge the food by what's on the wall (unless they're food stains), I scanned over the menu the find several burritos choices.

I have the typical burrito, large burrito, and choice of meats on the menu as well as the off-color wet burrito. I gaze until I find the fajita burrito. My mind is made up. It should be love at first bite. But just for good measure I order a pair of tacos to match.

Judging by the menu this is a largely Anglicized version of the cuisine. With a name like the original taco House, I was kind of expecting a bit more authenticity. For example most fare was offered American-style with lettuce tomatoes and cheese. That's no good for true for burrito connoisseur such as myself! Mexicano all the way! Which to my surprise they were eagerly excited about offering for no additional fee. That's a good sign! Even though my preference would be converting the barbarian hordes by default, this is all moot when I walk in the houses of the holy myself.

Food is scratched up on short order in about 10 minutes. This wants me to believe that preparation is entirely pre-done, or that the vast majority of the fare would be done hot off the griddle. The latter proved to be true.

About the tacos first. Of course they don't score well on a burrito chart, but the tacos actually were pretty good. I had a fried Chorizo, and a tender cut pork offering flayed out in 4 inch corn tortillas double stacked. With a nice size pile of cilantro and onion diced across the top. Taste was good seasoning was above average for this area and overall presentation was good in the basket. This is something I would probably eat every day in California, and it might not rate highly down there, but that would be suitable common denominator type food. The kind of easy throw together food you get after waking up off the sidewalk from an all nighter. Something that might come off a cart or small handout window to walk up to at lunch hour. For $1.65 this is a good day in Morrison, Il.

The fajita burrito arrived for the low, low price of $5.75; which is quite a bargain. It would consist of a 12 inch flour shell filled with skirt steak that had been griddle fried. Comprising contents I would guess about 1/4 cup of rice about 1/2 cup of beans, 3/4 to 1 cup of steak, 1/2 cup of yellow onion and probably 1/2-2/3 cup of bell peppers topped with melted jack cheese and then blended together. The steak, bell peppers and onions had all been seared and prep'ed on a flat iron griddle. And the beans were probably canned as was the rice. Altogether we have a fairly decent burrito of good size. Balance this out by the price I paid, and you have a pretty good deal. Taste however is far from being innovator of violence: the Tommy Dreamer test if you will. It would be typical middle-of-the-road eats for any type of greasy spoon or short line grill work. While the taste is good it wasn't greater than not, or knock me over-the-top different in any sort of way. Having eaten on the Riviera Mexico, the streets of Tijuana, up-and-down California, Texas, and as far as New York this burrito doesn't stand out to be original in any one feat.

This isn't saying that I wouldn't be here again or that I didn't do justice. There were plenty of other things on the menu to explore but again none were really all that original. And coming from Morrison, Illinois I hate to beat a dead horse but were called the Original Taco House: you've got to do more to come at me harder than that. In fact I almost did so. I talk shop with the people in the restaurant for a while about the food in the area, and realize they could use a bit more cultural infusion. But alas I didn't want to hop the counter and start ripping off burritos my style. My kitchen is where I craft art, there is this where Morrison, Illinois comes to eat. This is the Original Taco House.

1 comment:

  1. I work there and everything is made from scratch .... the ONLY thing canned is the nacho cheese is the only thing canned but even to that we add ... but good try

    ReplyDelete